The Netherlands leads the world when it comes to greenhouse farming, bulb growing and the cultivation of trees and ornamental plants. These activities form the basis of a knowledge-intensive agribusiness and are concentrated in clusters known as ‘Greenports’. The economic importance of the Greenports is comparable to that of the Rotterdam and Schiphol transport hubs. The sector has recently had a number of poor years due to problems such as the E. coli outbreak in 2011. Moving forward, the sector is not expected to grow, although the trend towards increased scale will continue. Prices will continue to be under pressure.
Flowers and Food Sector Group offers expertise to Greenports
The Flowers and Food Sector Group works for the entire sector, including market gardeners, greenhouse farmers, suppliers, exporters, auction houses and cooperatives. BDO provides services to a large number of clients primarily in the Greenports, in particular Westland/Oostland, Noord-Holland Noord and Duin- en Bollenstreek. As our clients are located in different Greenports, we have insight into all aspects of the sector. The Flowers and Food Sector Group offers expertise in specific areas affecting your sector. BDO is represented in the TAAK alliance, which brings together auditors, consultants and tax advisers operating in the agricultural sector. Among other things, TAAK holds consultations with the Dutch Tax & Customs Administration on agricultural issues, and it is also consulted when legislation on agricultural tax matters is developed.
In addition to offering accounting and tax services, the Flowers and Food Sector Group also provide services in the following areas:
- Common market organisations (CMO);
- Audit engagements related to Horticulture Product Board (PT) levies, CMO funds, other subsidies and cooperatives;
- Specific tax rulings (exemptions for income from agricultural activities, company accommodation for agricultural workers, innovation box facility);
- Valuation of crops;
- Energy-related issues (wind energy, energy contracts, geothermal energy issues);
- Greenhouse financing;
- Cooperatives (structuring);
- Advice on international issues.